Monday, October 27, 2008

Headaches

A few years ago I started taking medication for headaches. For as long as I can remember I've suffered from a lot of headaches, and as an adult had started getting some migraines too. A lot of the time I had a headache EVERY day. It took a few different prescriptions before I got something that worked, but eventually I was mostly headache-free, which was fantastic! For someone who's never suffered from headaches and migraines, it's hard to understand how debilitating they can be.

When we decided to try to get pregnant, I knew I had to go off my prescription. Honestly, I was hoping to be 'drug free' anyway, so it was a good excuse. That doesn't mean I wasn't nervous about it though. I imagined I'd stop taking the pills and immediately be plagued with a daily headache again. I was hoping to be able to wean myself off of it by taking a lower dosage, but found out I was already taking the lowest dosage available. So, I decided to just quit cold turkey.

And...no headaches! I was so relieved!

Then when I got pregnant, I started to get bad migraines. They would last for days, and all I could do was lay in a quiet, dark room, and suffer through it. I was so happy when they finally eased up, and for the second half of my pregnancy, I was headache-free.

I wasn't sure how my body would respond after Mara was born. I really don't want to have to go back on a medication. So far, it's been ok. I've definitely had headaches, but so far no migraines. Although a few of them have been somewhat intense. But nothing like they were a few years ok.

I'm having one of those headaches today. I'm trying to drink a lot of water and take it easy. Hopefully it will go away...

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I think you need caffeine in your life!! That can be the only explanation for these crazy headaches!

Hope you're feeling better today! =-)

Michelle said...

Headaches suck! I've been getting more of them lately myself. I hope they don't turn into migraines!